Thursday, December 30, 2010

Making Things Happen in 2011

Every year on January 1st thousands of people make New Year’s Resolutions. They vow to save money, lose weight, be more patient with their spouses and children, get a better job etc. I stopped making New Year’s Resolutions many years ago when I found that they were the same every year. My resolutions were the same because I had failed to accomplish them the year before. I failed to accomplish them the year before because after I promised myself to do those things, I stopped right there. Who knew I was supposed to have a plan to make it happen??!!! When I figured out how to make a plan, my resolutions became reality.

I think over the years the term New Year’s Resolution has become convoluted. Most people think that a New Year’s Resolution is a promise to ones self to do something. The dictionary defines the word “resolution” as a solution or settlement to a problem; it doesn’t say anything about a promise or even a goal. If that is the case then we must first identify the problem(s). Once the problem(s) is identified, we can then decide the best course of action for eliminating that problem. I have listed below some actionable ideas that I have learned over the years in the hopes it will help you achieve a resolution!!

1. Be Specific: set time lines, give yourself numbers to follow (I am going to lose 10 pounds this month)
2. Be Flexible: Don’t be afraid to add to your goals or to modify them. Life will ALWAYS get in the way and you will always have set backs. Expect them, but don’t throw the list out, just modify it so that it is achievable, but not impossible.
3. Be realistic. You will never lose 50 pounds in one month. Don’t set yourself up for failure.
4. Visibility: Keep ‘em where you can see ‘em. Some people make a “goal board” by cutting out pictures from magazines of houses, cars or vacation spots and put them on their board.
5. Accountability: Tell people what your goals are. It helps to keep you accountable if you know someone else is watching to see if you will make it and they can help support you in your efforts.
6. Reference often: Refer back to your to-do list often. It does you no good to write it down if you never refer back to it.
7. Take baby steps every day: No matter which goal you are working towards, always include steps every day, week, month etc that will bring you closer to realizing that goal.
8. Mark through your goals as you achieve them. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and you will be able to visually see how you are getting closer to your long range goals.
9. Celebrate your successes. When you lose 40 pounds, not only mark it off your list but reward yourself doing something for yourself (that doesn’t involve food)
10. As you accomplish your goals, set new ones. A successful life is a fulfilled life, and a fulfilled life is one in which your goals have been met.

HAPPY NEW YEAR PEEPS!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. After not reaching many of the "resolutions" I set for myself in 2010, I am taking a different approach. I have a Goal Board hanging in my office. I am also promising to not be so hard on myself and modify goals if needed.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am in the process of working on my "goad board" but I call it my "vision board". I am determined to make the most of 2011. I have alot of expectations and I have alot of changes I want to make in my life. I started working on them in 2010 and I'm not limiting myself to just 2011. I plan on making these changes for LIFE! Thanks for the encourgement, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete